Friday, September 18, 2009

summing up the Holy Land

So I know it has been a while since I have posted and I apologize. Last Sunday I left for my trip to Israel and I couldnt take my laptop so I have had no way to post anything. But I'll try to hit the highlights of the trip without being too boring.



On Sunday we got to Israel and lets just say I was dumbfounded. Nothing at all like I had pictured growing up as a child. Yes there are some sandy areas but believe it or not Israel looks just like America except theres lots of ancient ruins everywhere. I was very impressed with the security at the airport. We were sectioned off in to groups and twos and questioned over and over about who we were with, where we were going, if we knew anyone in Israel, if we had packed our own bags, etc...I think the guy was flirting a little bit with Sarah and me and so we got off pretty easy on the interrogation part. After many bag screenings and security check points we made it to the gate, safe and sound. Maybe America should consider adopting this, it made me feel safe.



After landing in Tel-Aviv we drove to Ceasarea Maritime. This was my first shock point of the trip. Stepping off the bus all I can see is miles and miles and miles of clear blue water. Absolutely beautiful. I wasnt sure what the significance of this place was at first but after walking through the ruins I learned that this is where Paul was brought to trial a few years before his death. I stood in the exact spot that Paul was tried and I saw what is thought to be the prison that he was kept in. I saw the port, (made by Herod the Great), that he was shipped out of headed back to Rome. Standing there, I realized that this trip was about to become more to me than just tourist sites....



After leaving Ceasarea Maritime we headed to Tiberius to check in to the hotel just in time for dinner. From my hotel room I could see the Sea of Galilee!! I think my jaw stayed dropped for a while. It was wonderful. A big group of us decided to walk down to the sea (about a 20 min. semi-sketchy straight down hill walk) and have a devotional. We walked through the market and found beautiful dresses and jewelry and of course I had to buy a few things! We got to the beach for the devotional and just sang for hours. It was awesome. Right in front of me was the exact water that Jesus walked on. It was the same water that Jesus had touched along with Paul and the other apostles. The Bible was coming to life for me. It was a long day and rest was definitely needed.



On Monday we had an early start. We were headed back to the Sea of Galilee to take a boat ride across to the other side. Before I tell you about this I want to tell you about our tour guide, Walid. He was wonderful. I hope that we left a good impression on him. He became our grandfather for the short time we were there and I will definitely miss him a whole lot. He had a goofy accent that was mixed with Texan, Southern, Greek, Hebrew...haha can you imagine? He's a great person and I hope to see him again. Okay, enough of that. The boat ride was super cool. We took the path that was typically taken in Bible times. We sang on the boat and read scripture (Matt. 14:22 and 8:23). This was one of the greatest experiences of my life. There I was sitting in a boat fashioned like boats in Jesus' time, reading scripture about how he walked on this very sea (which actually looks like a lake). It was unreal. I will never ever read the Bible the same. Its hard to describe the emotions.



After getting off the boat we actually went to a museum and saw a boat that was found in the water that dates back to 2000 years. They say it could be one from Jesus' time period. We also went that day to Capernaum. Before we got there I was thinking that we would be going to this modern day city but the bus pulled up to a narrow street, dropped us off and we walked in to this city of ancient ruins. It was really cool to think that Jesus had walked these exact streets. We also saw Peter's house there in Capernaum and the synagogue that Jesus went to. Later on that day we went to the site of the sermon on the mount and the place where the 5,000 were fed. It was all really cool.

The next day was extremely busy. We went to Cana and saw the site of the 1st miracle, we went to Nazareth and saw Mary's Well and the catholic church of the annunciation, and in Bethlehem we saw the catholic church of the nativity. I was shocked at how elaborate these churches are. Million and millions of dollars must have been spent to errect these buildings. Sometimes it almost felt like it was too much but I have to remember that there are people who have this as a part of their belief. The buildings are important to them. It was very eye opening to me.

We also went to Megiddo, where one of Solomon's palaces was built. We saw the valley of Armegeddon and a Canaanite altar that was 5000 years old. That was my favorite part to see what the Old Testament talks about. Very interesting.

The next couple of days were very busy as well. We moved on in to Jerusalem and this was my favorite part of the trip. I will do another post just about Jerusalem and our trip back to Glyfada.

Enjoy till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment