Thursday, September 3, 2009

the spilled soap incident...

Today hasnt been much different than yesterday. This morning Kana and I over slept and didnt make it to class on time. We think that our alarms didnt go off or something like that and ended up only making it in time for chapel. We made it to the rest of our classes and then at lunch ate some really good shishkabob things. Since we did sleep in I didnt get coffee, havent had it all day. You would be surprised at how hard it is to find coffee other than Starbucks here for a reasonable price. So I think I have decided that I am going to buy a cheap coffee pot for my room and brew my own WONDERFUL greek coffee in my room every day.

After lunch we headed to the square to find some more necessities. Everything ran pretty smoothly and then the late afternoon was filled with swimming and laying out. I guess I'll eventually find time for homework. Dinner was great tonight and we had some cheesecake jello thing for dessert that was very very good.

The best part of the day came after dinner tonight. During dinner one of the professor's wives, Dr. Dixie, came up to all the girls and asked that we meet in her room after we were finished for a devotional. Once in the devotional she began to tell us about an incident today at the supermarket. The 4 adults went to buy groceries and were in line checking out. There were 2 people in front of them an older Greek lady and an oriental man. As they were checking out their hand soap spilled all over the counter and the bags. She said they seemed frustrated so the professors decided to help them with their stuff. While they were helping them to bag the lady, Verdi is her name, began to speak in Greek. Dr. Dixie told her in English that they did not understand. Verdi was excited and started talking to them in English. Dr. Hicks, Dixie's husband, told her that there was a group here from America from a Christian University in Alabama. Verdi heard the word Christian and was very shocked and wanted to hear more so she offered them all a ride back to the hotel. She told them that she had been looking for something Christian here and was starving for the truth. Dr. Hicks told her about our church services and gave her his card. She dropped them off and went on her way. As Dr. Dixie finished telling us this, she started saying how we needed to be more open to spread God's word. Before the words could come out of her mouth in walks Verdi. Dr. Hicks was with her and we couldnt believe it. She brought figs with her and we all tried them. Then she started talking and told us how thankful she was that we are here. She said she has been praying for months for Christianity to come to Glyfada and that she has been starving for the truth. She was begging for answers to who we are and what we believe. We started telling her things and she just cried. She said she wanted fellowship with other Christians and couldnt believe what she ran in to at the supermarket. We prayed with her and then she left and promised she would see us on Sunday.
I cant even begin to tell you how this impacted me. To think that our Study Abroad program wasnt even supposed to be in Greece but in Italy. For some reason unknown to us at the time we ended up in Greece and for some reason the professors were at the supermarket when Verdi was there. As Verdi told us about her feelings and her longing for the truth my eyes teared up. I couldnt believe how hungry some people are for things I have had all my life. I felt like I was here for a reason that I didnt even know. It was very eye opening and uplifting. I have been inspired and encouraged. This is something that I never expected to experience while I was over here and it has been the best part of the day.

Tomorrow we are headed in to Athens to tour Mars' Hill and the Acropolis and some other things as well. I'll have a lot more to say tomorrow. I just thought I should share the spilled soap incident with everyone.
Goodnight. Enjoy till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment