Thursday, September 10, 2009

sorry it has been a while

I know I havent posted anything lately and I apologize. There has been a lot going on and believe it or not I am actually trying to do some school work. It is hard over here to remember that I'm not on vacation but that I'm actually in school. haha but I will get it done.

So here is a recap of what has happened the past few days. On Sunday we took another city tour of Athens. This time we went to the agora, the temple of Zeus, the temple of Hesphaistos, the Olympic Stadium, and the Roman agora. It was such a long long long long day and it was about 100 degrees here in Athens. We probably walked around 10 miles or so and I was already tired from the previous trips but it was pretty interesting and I did actually learn a few things. My favorite thing was seeing the agora and using my imagination to picture all the shops, the prison, the theaters, just the every day life. Agora means marketplace and that is where everyday life happened. We even saw the ancient ruins of a news stand and that was really cool. They had a lottery, and jury duty, and elections for Parliament. It was cool to think that Paul probably walked around where I was walking and bought himself lunch just like I did. Pretty cool.

Our lunch was pretty awesome. It was the first time we had actually eaten gyros (here they say it like year o's) and they were WONDERFUL! The pita bread here is addicting and they love meat. Its always cooked perfect. Believe it or not the eat french fries here and they arent that bad. The call them french potatoes though and instead of ketchup (which is very hard to find) they eat them with stuff called zitiziti or something like that. Its a cucumber yogurt that somewhat looks like cottage cheese but it is delicious! I think it sort of tastes a little like cucumbers and ranch.

Sunday night we went to church and I enjoyed it very much. Its definitely different here but not in a scriptural sort of way. It is different here as in the people. Growing up in the church and in America were Christian is common makes me sometimes not think of it in special terms. I hate to say that we Americans take advantage of it but after coming here to Greece and seeing how they thirst for it makes me realize that I dont know how blessed I am. Our friend Verdi came to church Sunday night and got to meet a lot of people and she told us that it was what she had been looking for. The people here at church were so enthusiastic. There were only about 20 members and with the 26 from our group the crowd wasnt that big but the singing was wonderful and the prayers and the lesson. I could just feel that everyone wanted to be there and everyone was there for one reason, not because they HAD to be there, but because they truly love God and WANT to be there to worship Him. It was very encouraging, very uplifting and I am glad that I get this experience for 3 more months. I know I will come back home with a new vigor and perspective on God and the church.

On Monday we had class and not much else happened. It was a pretty simple boring day but it was a much needed resting day. This whole week actually has been that way. The newness of Greece is slowly fading and I'm realizing more and more that I am not on vacation. This is actually my home. I hope that come October/November I dont get homesick. I talked to mom today and was told that I'm getting a care package in the mail! My room mate and I can't wait!!! HOME MADE COOKIES!!!! haha I think the whole group is craving American food so we may all be going to eat in Glyfada soon because they have an Applebee's! yay!

On Tuesday we went shopping. It was our first experience on the metro and the tramline for a long time. We had to take the tram for about 30 min. to the other side of the coast and then once in Athens we had to switch to the metro. The metro here is sooooo nice. VERY VERY clean. I was a little worried about going on there but it is almost nicer than having a car. Of course it is public transporation so you still feel like slathering yourself in hand sanitizer but its much nicer than any I have ever been on in the states. After 1 1/2 hours we got the mall and let me tell you it was well worth it! 5 stories of shopping! I couldnt ask for more.....shoes, purses, clothes, jewelry. It was all over the place and the cool thing was they had very very few American stores. So all we did was shop Greek. It was fun and I bought a few things and a couple of presents and then after 3 hours we headed back to Glyfada, another 1 1/2 hour trip. That night I was exhausted and took it easy did some homework and watched a movie.

I wont bore you with yesterday cause it was pretty much the same....class, workout, homework, dinner, then coffee in Glyfada.

Verdi, if you remember her from my earlier posts, has come by the hotel regularly. We all have decided that she is officially our Greek grandmother. She went to the bakery before she came by the other day and brought us a ton of Greek pastries and desserts....we are still eating on them! She is a very sweet lady and I feel blessed to have gotten to know her. God has many things planned for her here in Athens and I am glad that I have been able to have an impact on her life. This just goes to show that you never know who you can affect by just being you....She has taught me a lot about my life, my feelings, and how God answers prayers just by being her. It is a wonderful gift and something that I will never forget. Because of her I know more about my life and my spirituality and about what some people really mean to me....

haha okay enough of the sappy stuff. Greece is amazing! I love it! I miss you all! and I can't wait to see each of you in person....I am reminded of this by a certain someone every day: 10 1/2 weeks left hahahaha

Till the next time. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment